Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Teaching Cops Technology

I have recently started dipping my toes in the "teaching" biz. As part of my job, which is supporting the computer laptops that police officers use in their vehicles, I have started teaching an hour-long session in what is known as Post-Academy, two weeks of additional classes for officers who just graduated from the Phoenix Police Academy.

Much as the nerve-wracking anticipation is something I have to quickly get over, I think I will eventually have fun doing this on a regular basis. Today we had 15 new officers, a smaller class than the usual 22 or so. What's nice about these young folks is that they grew up around computers and techie gizmos, and so are relatively savvy with graphical interfaces, as opposed to some of our older officers who haven't touched a Mobile Data Terminal in 15 or 20 years.

Besides Post-Academy, I've also been giving hour-long trainings to some officers who have been on the force for anywhere from a few to several years. Learning stuff like new applications and wireless network technology can be frustrating, I know, especially when all they want is to go out on the streets and do their job. So yes, I deal with both the eager ones who by default become their squad's tech support guy or gal, as well the as frustrated ones who call on the phone and suggest to "rinse the hard drive out in the pond next to the precinct". (Well, hey, at least they call!)

My next post-academy will be on Aug. 15th. There is one scheduled for Aug. 2nd, but I will be on vacation in San Francisco -- it's my good friend Meony's wedding, and I haven't seen him in 12 years. I'm so excited!

While in Northern California, Billy and I will be doing the touristy San Francisco stuff, then heading south to Carmel and Monterey for *more* touristy stuff. This will be a rare non-hiking vacation. We've both been to San Francisco before, but it will be his first time in Carmel/Monterey.

Until next post, I'm working on my photos so that I can upload them to Flickr and start a new photoblog.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you ever imagine when we were in college that someday you'd be teaching cops in Arizona? :)

Who else went to the wedding?

Cy Villegas said...

Gee, I never thought about it that way! I just remember adamantly not wanting to work in the US. LOL